The continuous development of sustainable operations is an integral part of EVRAZ’s priority strategic goals. As a mining and steelmaking company, we aim to reduce the negative impacts caused by our day-to-day operations in order to be compliant with applicable legal environmental requirements and consistent with the expectations of our stakeholders.
The Group has an Environmental Management System (EMS) in place, which ensures that environmental risks are mitigated and that all regulatory requirements are met. The EMS also incorporates environmental and social impact assessments, environmental due diligence and the management of environmental projects. It is based on the following principles:
- Coordinating environmental programmes and the Group’s development strategy
- Environmental risk assessment and mitigation, risk audits of current and prospective assets
- Risk-based justifications of environmental projects
- Managing environmental projects in accordance with the management of investment projects, the consideration and approval of such projects by the managing company, and personal responsibility for project implementation
- Liaising with the Legal Department on environmental regulatory issues
- Continual monitoring and analysis of applicable legislation
The key document regulating our approach is The Health, Safety and Environment Policy.
See more in the “Approach to environmental management” section of the Sustainability Report 2018.